Social Distancing has been introduced from March 16th 2020 and so Helen will continue to use a combination of Telephone Calls, Physitract Video Clips and What`s App as part of her osteopathic consultation and treatment.
Face-to-face osteopathic consultations with PPE and deep hygiene cleaning including the use of a Disinfectant Fine Mist Fogger Spray with BAC Disinfectant This is dependent upon current on government guidelines and may change at short notice. There is a Covid Triage questionnaire checklist which changes according to government guidelines
Common Conditions Treated at the How Clinic Include:
- Back Pain & Lower Back Pain
- Neck pain with exercises
- Knee Rehabilitation
- Sports Injuries
- Mild to Moderate Arthritis
- Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Low Back Pain with mild nerve entrapment
- Frozen Shoulder
- Achilles Tendinopathy
- Patella Tendinopathy
- Shoulder Rotator Cuff Tendinpathy
- Hip Discomfort
- Groin Discomfort
- Male Pelvic Health
- Tennis Elbow
- Golfers Elbow
Edinburgh osteopath Helen How has been sucessfully treating patients at the How Osteopathic Clinic (Trinity, Edinburgh) for nearly 30 years.
Registered with the General Osteopathic Council, Helen combines the latest advances in osteopathy with a gentle patient-centred approach to diagnosis and treatment. This ensures that osteopathic treatment at the How Osteopathic Clinic Edinburgh is suitable for a wide-range of conditions including; back pain, neck pain, sports injury, arthritis and rheumatism and repetitive strain injury.
Helen also treats babies and children and has had successful results when dealing with childhood complaints such as glue-ear, feeding problems and restlessness.
Treatment at the How Osteopathic Clinic is tailored to the individual and will depend upon the symptoms and condition of the patient. As an experienced osteopath Helen will often use a combination of osteopathic techniques including, Traditional Osteopathy, Cranial Osteopathy, Ultrasound and Shockwave Therapy. Helen now has Storz Medical Magnetolith Pain Relief and Regenerative Therapy
Helen How : Osteopathic Training & Certification
Trained by the European School of Osteopathy Helen combines the hands on principles and techniques of palpatation and tonal progression and uses traditional osteopathic techniques such as Myofascial Unwinding as taught by Professor John Upledger, Robert Lever and Harold Klug at the European School of Osteopathy. Other osteopathic techniques utilised by Helen include; General Osteopathic Treatment (Littlejohn/Wernham), Specific Adjusting Techniques (Bradbury /Dummer), Soft Tissue Techniques and myofascial release. Helen can now integrate these Osteopathic approaches with for those who wish with pain relief and regeneration therapy using shockwaves and or Electromagnetic Therapy. Helen has been to Switzerland and uses Storz Medical Focus and Radial Shockwaves and the New Magnetolith
As a practising osteopath Helen is particularly interested in the changes to our bodily structure and the health issues created created by the increasingly sedentary lifestyles we lead. Her research into and further training on muscular skeletal disorders such as tense fibrotic muscles and muscle degeneration has led to the integration of modern osteopathic techniques into her treatments and she is fully trained in the use of Electrotherapy, NMES and Ultrasound. Helen is one of the few non-NHS osteopathic clinics in Scotland to be certified to give Shockwave Therapy as part of her osteopathic practice at the How Clinic in Edinburgh. Helen also now has Magnetolith Therapy which has a long treatment handle permitting social distancing treatments.
With a genuine interest in the role of osteopathy as a means of Injuries Prevention and Rehabillation, Helen continues to train and learn from leading Physiotherapists within the United Kingdom and Worldwide. The below list is a useful selection of courses and training programmes which are also relevant to those undergoing Osteopathic Treatment.
- Tendinopathies Update in Management Professor Nicola Maffulli and Colleagues London 2015
- Beony Mathews & Glen Robbins Physiotherapists Running Injuries and Prevention and Rehabilitation 2016
- Beony Mathews & Glen Robbins Adult Hip and Groin Assessment, Diagnosis and Rehabilitation including FAI 2016
- Dr Peter Malliaras Physiotherapist Masterclass in Lower Limb Tendinopathy 2016
- The Adult Hip Patient Beony Mathew and Glen Robbins 2016
- Shockwave UK Conference 2016 London
- Shockwave UK Conference 2015 London
- Chronic Gluteal Pain and Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy Physiotherapists Tom Goom and Beony Mathews 2017
- Understanding Tendinopathies of the Hip and Pelvic Dr Alison Grimaldi Physiotherapist
- The Spine What`s Holding Us Back 2017 British Association of Sports and Exercise
- The Shoulder Theory and Practice Professor Jeremy Lewis PhD Physiotherapist
- Shoulder Instability Steps to Success Jo Gibson Physiotherapist
- Online Shoulder Steps to Success Jo Gibson Researcher Physiotherapists
- Running Repairs Brilliant Online Course on Running Injuries by Tom Goom
- MasterClass in Running Injuries Pure Sports Medicine London with Brad O Neal and Dr Christian Barton Physiotherapists
- PatellaFemoral Pain Uncovered By Claire Robertson Physiotherapist who has researched Knee Pain for over 9 years a brilliant course too as Anterior Knee Pain is so common
- Helen has Peter Mallararis Lower Limb MasterClass on Tendinopathies both first edition and current updated Course on line Peter Mallararis another brilliant lecturer/researcher Physiotherapist. (Achilles tib post peroneal Tendon Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy Patella Tendinopathy)
- WeekendWarrior Brighton From Recreational Athlete to Returning to Full Sport Please look at the link for this fantastic Group of outstanding Physiotherapists A brilliant Course
- Restoring load Capacity in the injured runner By Dr Richard Willy 30th -31st March 2019
- During Covid all the leaning and conferences are now online
- Shockwaves in Sports Medicine by Professor Karsten Knobloch
- 40 Years of Shockwaves by Professor Karsten Knobloch
- Extracorporeal shockwave Therapy update – state of the art by Professor Ludger Gerdesmeyer A Storz Medical Series Webinar
- Magnetolith Extracorporeal Magnetotransduction Therapy Prof Dr Ludger Gerdesmeyer A Storz Medical Series Webinar
- Shockwaves in Sports Patella Tendinopathy Professor Dr Carlos Lead MD
- Online Running Symposium
- Current Evidence of Conservative Therapy in Achilles Tendinopathy Dr Martin
Ringeisen A Storz Medical Series Webinar
Helen will always provide rehabilitation exercises where they will support your osteopathic treatment. She will also suggest returning to your General Practitioner for other options and medical assessments should that be required.
Helen is the author of a popular blog about osteopathy “Osteopath Edinburgh” in which she details the latest advances in osteopathic treatments as well as writing articles about how to maintain your health and wellbeing. You can read Helen’s blog at www.osteopath-edinburgh.com/